Monday, December 5, 2011

Bathtime with Twins




12/2/11
Tonight I was giving the girls a bath, it was Chris’s turn last bath night, and I realized that this is one time during the day that having two babies really is probably quite a bit different than having one.
Getting them in the tub is really pretty easy. They’re both so excited when they hear that water running and they’re so eager to get in the tub, so they’re pretty cooperative with getting undressed so they can get in that water. Tonight Emily was fussy before bath time, but just sitting her on the bathroom floor so I could turn on the tap brought a smile to her face.

Of course, before the water starts running, it’s important to be all set in the bathroom. Diapers? Check. Jammies? Check. Clean washcloths and towels? Check. Let bathtime begin! While the water’s running, it’s easiest to undress Addison first because she’s pulling up on everything and when she stands in the bathroom it makes me nervous with the tile floor.

Once they’re both in the tub, we can take a deep breath and relax for a minute while they’re both content to splash the water and play with toys. It’s best to suds them up quick now because before you know it, Emily’s ready to swim. She wants to be on her tummy, scooting back and forth, the length of the tub. If Addie’s in the way, Emily just plows right by her, headbutting her way past arms and legs. Luckily, getting shoved out of the way just makes Addison laugh, but then she’s got the movin’ shakin’ bug, too, and all she wants to do is stand.

With one hand I’m trying to finish rinsing Emily’s hair and with the other I’m setting Addison back down on her bottom. While I’m washing Addison, I’m making sure Emily doesn’t suck up water as she swims back and forth across the tub. After setting Addie back down a dozen times, and sitting Emily up to cough out water for the second time, I’m ready for bathtime to be over, even if the girls aren’t.

So begins the drying, diapering, lotioning, pjing process. As soon as I pull Addison out, if Emily’s on her back, the splashing really begins in full force. Arms and legs flailing, water’s hitting the ceiling. Meanwhile, I’ve got Addison pinned between my legs as I wrestle a diaper onto her wriggling body. The minute that second diaper tab connects, I let Addison roll away and I pull Emily out of the bath.

Coming out of the tub is not fun for Emily, since it’s her favorite place to be these days. Now I’m watching nervously as Addison pulls herself up on the edge of the tub, or the toilet lid, or the cabinet door, as I wrestle another diaper onto another little wriggling body.

I’m sure you’re beginning to get the picture. It’s chaos, but it’s over in 5 minutes and we’re all sitting in the rocking chair, having that last wonderful snuggle before bed.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun time even if they do wiggle so much for you. Can't wait to see everyone soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five minutes?! That sounded like an hour's worth of work.
    Jeezalou those girls have gorgeous blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, not the whole thing, Wendy, just the drying, diapering, lotioning, pjing process...I do that in super fast speed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to add that you have to get them into the bath fast enough that neither one pees on the floor...lol! (or is it just mine with that problem). I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete