Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Update

Yesterday we had a doctor's appointment to have a non stress test (NST) done on the babies. Their heart rates are looking good, and movement was good. I had a couple of contractions during the monitoring, and I am currently dilated 1/2 cm (you need to get to 10 to have a baby, and generally they won't admit you to the hospital if you're under 4). My blood pressure is still low, and because the babies are looking happy and healthy, my doctor still recommends waiting until the 28th to have them.

The shingles are getting better, but have not cleared up entirely. Because of the shingles and because of the size difference in the babies, I am still being told that a c-section would be the safest way to go. I have had a traditional birth, along with the experience of labor and pushing in my mind for so long that it is taking quite a bit of thinking and praying to come to terms with the thought of a c-section, but I'm getting there.

I have another NST scheduled for Friday, and if the babies are still looking happy, we'll wait until Monday for the c-section. If anything happens between now and Monday (I notice less movement, the NST detects stress in the babies, etc.), we will go in for a c-section before Monday. A part of me is still hoping that the shingles will completely clear up and I can still shoot for a traditional birth, but we also have the babies' size difference to look at. Because Baby A (who could come first) is smaller than Baby B, it is more likely that after giving birth to Baby A, Baby B would flip into an unfavorable position and I would need a c-section to deliver her. Although I have told the doctor I would be prepared for one traditional birth and one c-section, it still sounds like it will be in the babies' best interest to have a c-section for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment