Tuesday, February 15, 2011

37 Week Ultrasound

On Monday we went in for our last perinatologist appointment. Honestly, we didn't think we'd make it this far, so it was a little bit of a surprise to even make it to the appointment. Dr. Gagnon is great at getting good profile pictures, and even though the girls are getting pretty crowded in there, she was still able to get a couple good head shots of each of them.

Here's Baby A, Buttercup, whose head is a little further down than Baby B. She is on my right side and has consistently been a little further down, so if I were to give birth naturally, she would come first. She has always been a little smaller and I've felt her movements more throughout the pregnancy. Her measurements on Monday put her weight estimate at 5 pounds, 13 ounces.


Here's Baby B, Bubbles, who is on my left side and has always been a little bigger. Her movements were harder to feel earlier in the pregnancy when her placenta was on the back of my uterus, but as my uterus has grown, both placentas are on the front and I have been feeling a lot of movement from Bubbles in the last few weeks. Her measurements put her estimated weight at 7 pounds!


While the girls have a pretty big weight difference between them, it is still under a 20% difference, so it isn't a concern.

The plan up until recently was that I was going to be induced on Monday, February 21st at 11:00am unless I went into labor on my own before then. In the last couple of weeks, I have started walking around more, trying to be more active. My goal has been to give birth naturally, and I was hoping not to need to be induced because it makes the birthing process so much more intense.

This weekend, I was diagnosed with shingles, which has complicated the plan. As of right now, my doctor wants me to try to go an extra week (to week 39, 2/28) to give the virus more time to get out of my system. At that point, she would like to do a C-Section to guarantee the babies don't come in contact with any of the shingles lesions.

I have an appointment with an OB on Monday, 2/21 so that a non-stress test can be done on the babies and my vitals can be checked to make sure we can go another week. Honestly, I am feeling so huge and stretched right now, it is very hard for me to imagine going another two weeks.

Thank you so much to all of you who have offered us so many kind thoughts and prayers.

1 comment: